Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The "new me"

Happy New Year everyone!

Well, I made it home Monday with little trauma, other than the airline pulled the handle from my suitcase. That was a drag, but not the end of the world.

It seems like a long time since last I typed, so I thought I'd give you a quick update...
- the weather improved GREATLY for the last week of my stay. By the weekend, it was nothin' but sunshine and low 20s.
- John & I continued our daily exercise routine, toggling between morning walks and hiking. Once we completed "The Summit" there was no turning back for us. We hiked that friggin' mountain for three days in a row! By the end of it, I was sore, sick of hiking and ready to come home and rest my weary knees! I was also quite envious of "Team Phoenix" for having the opportunity to be able to hike The Summit during the winter...lucky them!
- 2010 was ushered in with Dianne, Denis, Mark, Craig, John & Jim...quiet, but very nice.

A good time was, indeed, had by me. So, now I'm back to the reality of Christmas decorations to put away, suitcases to unpack and laundry to be done. And I face this with the hunger pains and carb withdrawals associated with my "getting back on track". I'm sure it doesn't sound like I'm happy, but I actually AM glad to be back! I'm glad to regain control of my eating (day 1 with my normal routine of protein shakes and my chicken, spinach sautee) and to be working out again. Although I'd never tell him this, I actually missed The Evil One while I was gone. I know you're thinking "She's finally lost it!"....

Today I met with a friend of mine. I was telling her about my Christmas break and all the exercise I did and mentioned that I'd never dreamed I'd be hiking and here I was! She said, "well, that's the new you". That sure made me think. I initially resisted the notion of "a new me". I'm not sure why, but I think it's because I kinda liked the "old me". Then I got to thinking...and did a comparison of new vs. old me...

OLD ME - believed walking 1.5 KM to buy ice cream at Dominion was justifiable exercise
NEW ME - would KILL to eat ice cream

OLD ME - thought I would look funny doing any kind of exercise and would not do it
NEW ME - KNOWS I look funny while I exercise and really doesn't care

OLD ME - hated my boss, hated my previous company and was overall cranky
NEW ME - LOVES my boss, thinks my current company ROCKS and is The Ambassador of Positivity

OLD ME - felt wound up and ready to lash out anytime someone challenged me
NEW ME - only feels this way in traffic now

OLD ME - felt a protein shake was the drink to wash down 5 slices of pizza
NEW ME - drinks the shake INSTEAD of pizza

I've spoken about changing my mindset on what was "normal" eating for me. Today I realized I need to change my mindset on what is possible for me. For example, I did my first-ever yoga class tonight. I went into it thinking it would be very difficult for me to do and that my belly would get in the way. Well guess what?!? I DID IT!! It wasn't that difficult AND no belly interference! So, I've decided I want to think about possibilities and not limitations, especially when it comes to my physicality - exercise & whether or not I can be attractive.

I'll need your help, poppits! I'm hoping you can catch me when you hear me speaking of limitations and not possibilities. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I promise you will know those limiting words when you hear them. And call me on it! Thank you...

2010 is going to be an amazing year - I can just feel it! This is the year for success, for so many of us! My big goals for this year?

1) achieve financial prosperity and the freedom to choose my own career path (all those irons in the fire WILL pay off!!)

2) achieve my optimal weight and maintain great health forever...the right foods and the right exercise. I WILL climb The Inca Trail in May, with no problems!

3) date up a storm on the way to finding my "Mr. Right"...it's time for me to share my life, poppits, and I'm excited about finding the right person to share it with!

Now can you see why I'm excited about 2010?!?

Tell me, dear friends, what gets you excited about this year? About this decade?!? The possibilities are endless....

G'nite, poppits!
(a)yt xox

0 comments:

Post a Comment