Sunday, January 2, 2011

It's all about "perspective"

Hello again and HAPPY 2011!

Man, what a ride it's been since last I updated this blog. To be honest, I have no idea why I haven't sat down and typed. I've thought about it on MANY occasions, but never really felt like it. I don't know why, but it doesn't matter. I'm here now. BTW, thanks to everyone who sent gentle or smack-me-upside-the-head reminders to start blogging again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that interest and/or concern!

One theme that keeps running through my head is "the power of perspective". More specifically, how something so simple as a new view can help you see things differently. Here's how I came up with this idea....

I went to Phoenix to spend Christmas with the sibs who are there - my brother, John and sister, Dianne and family. Helping me with perspective was my brother's dog, Pearl. For about four days, Pearl's world had been turned upside down because my bro moved into a new home. Adding to her challenges was me...I just kept hanging about. For anyone who knows a dog, they simply can't resist other people's business and my moving about the house was preventing her from, ya know, sleeping.

One morning, early in the morning, Pearl was in a mellow, "kumbaya" mood as she'd just had her nap interrupted by my getting out of bed and getting a coffee. Since Pearl is not one to let action pass her by, she sidled over to me, pawed at my leg and looked up at me with those "please cuddle me before I die" eyes. Pearl's only agenda items are "fetch" and "food", so when she's in this mellow, snuggly mood, I like to take advantage of it. So, up she came on my lap...which changed Pearl's perspective...and her mood! Now, she could freely see out the window at all the things that were passing her by...like cars...and bicycles...and birds. She perked right up and started barking at anything that moved. New perspective, new energy. All of a sudden she was happy and highly energized, simply because of a change in view. Pearl's reaction to her new view planted a seed with me about the topic of "perspective".

Lately, I've been struggling with many things...regaining my "mojo" to get back on my Journey to Good Health...securing contract work that will help me fund my dream...staying positive when so many people in my life are struggling with SOMETHING! It's a troubled world and my perspective on things seems to get tainted by the dissatisfaction of so many in my life and the bleakness of winter.

So, what the heck am I gonna do about it?!? Let's explore my choices:

1) Continue to wallow in my funk, soaking up the sadness that is all around me and letting it change my whole being....um, NO FLIPPIN' WAY!!


2) Take it one day at a time, seeking out positive things and acknowledging the successes I've had, no matter how big or small they are....hmmm....good start!

3) change my perspective...BINGO!!

I've had some ankle-biter issues that have been dragging me down. So, I've taken stock of the most challenging ones and am going to address them head on. Here's how I'm changing my perspective:

- I am committed to redesigning and revamping my website. What I viewed as "tedious" before, I am now looking at as "fun". I have fresh eyes and I am excited about all that the website CAN be! Rather than look at it as a chore to complete, I am approaching it with a creative eye, embracing that side of me and applying this positive energy to the design and content of the website. Can you feel my positive energy?!?

- I have decided to stop pining for my elusive "mojo" and start getting back on track with small-but-meaningful changes in my behaviour. I know myself well enough to know that ANY reduction in my caloric count will be beneficial. So, I've changed my perspective from "woe is me" to "you go, girl!" and I am taking back the control of my good health. Here are the small steps I'm committing to do:
1) track my calories so I don't exceed 1,600 per day
2) stop eating after 7:00 pm
3) fast one day/week

These are all things I've done before and know that I am capable of doing them again. BTW, it's 4:30 and this is my fast day for the week. I'm hungry and feel a bit low energy, but I'm not dying and I am determined to make it through the night with no food.

Now, about all the negativity that surrounds me. I've changed my perspective on that too. A good friend reminded me that the only thing within my control are my actions and reactions. People are going to feel crappy because they are dealing with some really bad stuff. Does that mean I have to also feel crappy? Not at all! I can choose to be sympathetic without being EMpathetic...coach, listen, advise without getting emotionally attached to the outcome...focus on the good in my life to contrast the negativity that others are experiencing. See what I mean?

Funny, what shifting a perspective can do. Now when I look outside my windows, I no longer just see the clouds in the sky. I can actually see the blue sky BEHIND the clouds!

Tell me, poppits, what can you do to change your perspective?

Glad to be back in the blogging saddle again!
(a)yt xox

0 comments:

Post a Comment