Saturday, March 20, 2010

Exercise or ... the flu?

Greetings and salutations from a sneezy & sniffling me!

This me, I'm happy to say is a significant improvement from the chills-fever-even-my-teeth-ache me that was two days ago. Ya know, I've always thought of myself as a healthy person, but this is the 3rd time I've had some kind of bug this flu season and, quite frankly, it's getting annoying! Of course, within the first 3 days of the week, I encountered at least 4 people who were sick, so I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

I went to yoga Wednesday night, per usual, with Nadia the ex-cop-turned-yoga-meister. Seriously, she's an ex-cop. Now I've sung the praises of Nadia a few times to you and I still think she rocks. However, this past Wednesday we were actually jumping. That's right, JUM-PING! As I'm flopping around on my mat, I'm thinking "isn't yoga supposed to be relaxing?" Lemme tell you, I felt no sense of relaxation...not as I was jumping...not as I laid on the mat with a big, ole wooden block in my back...not as I swung my left butt cheek up the wall gripping on to two ropes for dear life....not at any time. My objective for yoga was to build up my muscle strength, beyond the weights that I'm doing with The Evil One. Imagine my surprise when we had some cardio thrown into the mix. Nadia was all Ms-happy-to-be-showing-us-something-different and I was all Ms-grumpy-because-I-was-sweating-and-could-hear-my-flab-floppin....clearly we were on different pages. Anyway, I survived, even the wooden block between my shoulder blades only to come down with some kinda virus that took me out all day Thursday and most of Friday. Poor me, really...

My weight routine has been shaken up a bit too. It has not been a good week for me, dang it! The Evil One has introduced TWO torture tools into my routine:

Torture tool #1 - a 15 lb. bar that I must hold over my head as I do my squats. Fortunately, my bum doesn't have to touch the bench...yet...but the bench is still under me. NOW I hear Werner yelling..."keep your elbows locked"(because they buckle from the weight of the bar)..."head up" (because the arm buckling causes me to lean forward, thereby lowering my head)..."keep you back straight" (because I'm leaning forward). Do you see the vicious circle I'm in?!? It's so unfair and, really, I get no sympathy.

Torture tool #2 - the leg press. Oh, not your-ordinary-everyday kinda leg press. No, this one is where you're lying awkwardly on your back with your legs up in the air. As the weights depresses, your legs come buckling down towards your stomach. It's one of the few times I'm grateful I still have some of my stomach for the protection, otherwise, I'd be pulling steel and broken knee bones out of my mouth. And by the way, if you have even a hint of body gas, it's gonna come out...if ya know what I mean. Just another thing for me to worry about for my next workout...yeesh!

I know, I'm kinda cranky and a little whiny (kinda? a little?), but it hasn't been a good week for me, poppits. I'm just sick and tired of being sick & tired, I guess. So....enough of the grumbling....

Looking at possibilities instead of limitations I say....

* Bring on that 15lb. bar. Soon I'll be be squatting with my elbows locked, head up and bum touching the bench!

* leg press, schmeg press...I won't need my stinkin' belly for protection 'cuz I'll be pressing with legs that could support a truck...arr, arr, arr....

* jumpin' in yoga? Well, ok, that one is still gonna be challenging to do ... but I love a challenge, right?!?

Tomorrow I hike with the Inca Chicks. Only it's a series of climbing stairs. I should be used to this, right? So why am I so nervous?!?

What challenge will YOU take on for the week, poppits?!? Whatever it is, remember I'm right there with ya!
(a) yt xox

ps--tried some sour cream & hemp flavoured Kale chips...mmmm....NOT!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment