Saturday, March 6, 2010

What is your definition of "success"?

Hola!

What a FAB day I'm staring at...sunshine, not a cloud in the sky. I'm so down with the Vitamin D!!

OK, so I've been thinking ALOT about how I'm defining success for my health journey. Oh sure, the declining numbers on the scale and the shrinking clothes size certainly help. However, for me, this journey has been about feeling better, physically and mentally, about myself. I'm finding this "feeling better" is translating into so many different things. Like....

- when I go through the turnstiles on the subway, my bum no longer touches the sides of the turnstile.

- not overflowing onto the next person's seat when I watch a movie or go to the live theatre

- Crossing my legs without having to hook my foot onto something for support

See where I'm going with this? Let's be clear, I really enjoy having a normal blood pressure and blood tests that no longer threaten diabetes and/or cholesterol problems. However, it's the little things that affect my life and reduce my embarrassment that really get my mojo going.

There was a time, when I was at my highest weight and size (size 26, btw), traveling for business. On one horrific flight, I actually couldn't do up the seat belt. I was just short of connecting. After much struggle and feeling the humiliation of having everyone watch my struggle (I was in an aisle seat), I had to get up and ask the flight attendant for an extension. It was absolutely humiliating for me. It only happened once, but I remember the fear I faced every time I sat down on an airplane, wondering if the seat belt was gonna fit me. So, for me, success is being able to wear the seat belt AND have extra length for good measure!

Here's the deal....if I can do this, so can you. When I first started on this journey, my weight, size and health issues were OVERWHELMING...like I'd never be able to see the end. And now? I'm in the home stretch of achieving my Machu Picchu goal. It's been a long time coming and, well, I've shared the struggles that I faced...STILL face...but it's worth it.

So I ask you, poppits, what is your definition of success...and how badly do you want it?!? 'Cuz whether or not you believe it, it really is within you to achieve. Trust me on this. You have everything you need to reach your goal. And when you don't feel you can pull it off, you have resources you can call upon to remind you. One of those resources is ME...just call me...seriously....

I've got a spring in my step and joy in my heart as I head out to meet someone for coffee. How are you feeling, poppit?!?
(a) yt xox

0 comments:

Post a Comment