Monday, September 7, 2009

Should one actually do work on Labour Day?

Or would you be violating some kind of ethical or moral code?!? I'll do anything to get out of housework....yeesh!

Hello poppits! It's been far too long. A big part of the problem is that I have not been able to connect to the internet for at least 4 days now. Oh sure, I'm doing it now, but that's because I had to go to a Rogers store, get a new modem and steal the wireless network from some poor soul who hasn't figured out there are pirates who will steal his wireless network. I'm guessing it's a male, because the network on which I ride is called...and I kid you not ... "Tits4Dinner". See why I think it's a male? Hey! I'm not hear to judge, but rather I'd like to thank Mr. Exotic Dinner Choice for not locking his internet connection.

So the week has been a bit of an up and down emotionally for me. It started with a great AFOOFA meeting where I joined up after having missed the last 2 weeks. It was just Aubrey, Duane, Joanne, Jeff & I, but the conversation was quite inspirational. I then did a Myers-Briggs coaching session with Jeff, which always gets my mojo going! Aubrey, Duane & I had lunch and those guys just know how to motivate by simply believing in you! Needless to say, I was feeling pretty darn good by the time we walked out of the Apricot Tree and I headed home.

Then it started to happen...the events that triggered self-doubt, nervousness and yes, self-pity!

I had a message from a "Nancy" from the Employment Insurance office. For those who don't know, I'm "sucking it up" and applying for EI so I can get some dough coming in. Ya know, it all goes back to my "safety net" of cash flow. Well, in speaking with the ever pleasant, Nancy, I spoke the truth...no, I had not been looking for full-time work because I was pursuing my business. Well, spank my bottom and call me "stupid" because that was just the wrong thing to do. Needless to say my application was declined. So, I have gained alot of learning about the whole EI process, which, by the way, is NOT made clear on the website. There is alot of very valuable information about the process I learned, not from the government itself, but from friends who had gone through the process - very disappointing! Anyway, I'm going to appeal my claim and I will put in an effort to find full time work. After all, if I could find a job where I'm coaching full-time, why would I turn it down?!?

So, that sent me into a bit of a tail spin....self-doubt about pursuing a career change ... fear of never making any money on this career ... resignation that I would have to go back to working full time in project delivery or marketing ... etc. etc. OK, so I'm a bit of a drama queen, but it was a struggle for me.

Then, the clouds parted and the sun came out.

I was given a free ticket to Julius Ceasar in Stratford, so I road-tripped with Tony's girlfriend Carol. It was great getting to know her better and I'm SO HAPPY she's come into Tony's life. They're awesome for each other and he certainly deserves someone so wonderful. Anyway, Carol and I hung out in the Avon Theatre Store where I saw a plaque that said "LEAP and the net will appear". It was like a gentle smack upside the head, reminding me of the importance of my leap of faith.

THEN...oh yeah, it gets better people ...

I picked up the mail and got my first cheque for ymt Strategies from the gig I did in Chatham. Yeah!

THEN I got TWO referrals for paid coaching gigs ... and THEN (can you stand it?!?)

Barb (transition coach extraordinaire - remember her from my FelixGlobal days?) contacted me and spoke to me about training with her to take on some career transition clients and, possibly, including me as an associate on her website! How cool is that?!? That's like my nirvana...being mentored by someone I respect and getting referrals from other coaches...for coaching!! It's awesome!

Sooooooo.....I've stepped away from that ledge to which I've recently been clinging and am falling gloriously to the ground. Once again, I don't know where I'll land or when I'll get there, but I know that the wonderful feeling of the air on my face as I free fall towards something great is back and I LOVE IT!!!

Join me, poppits, in this glorious state of risk-taking! Is there something you've always wanted to do but didn't know how it would turn out? Just go for it...seriously...It's an amazing feeling. And remember....

LEAP and the net will appear

TTFN!
(a) yt xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment