Monday, July 6, 2009

Not your typical Monday...

Well, I guess it would be if you're used to hangin' out in 110 degrees Farenheit! Honestly, I don't know how these Phoenicians survive this heat! I actually see construction workers doing their thang in the middle of the day...what's up with that?!? I feel so badly for them that I wanna just take a big 'ole water hose and spray them down. Of course, some of them have nice bodies, so my intentions are not 100% honourable... tee, hee... Movin' on...

Well, it's been an exciting and full two days since last I've typed! Let's start with Saturday. We did our walk, at 6:00 as promised. It was pretty good. It ended up being about 8KM and took us 40 minutes, so we made good time. Although it was hot, it wasn't the full-on"feel-like-you're-sitting-in-a-sauna-all-day" stifling hot temperature. I should tell you how we looked, as those of you who know both myself and my brother, John, will have an appreciation of our situation. Picture this..

Yvonne...hair pulled up into a teeny pony tail (small, but a pony tail nonetheless!); black head band pulling the rest of my hair off my face. Oh yes! My entire forehead and face exposed to the elements and anyone with the courage to look at me...add to this beautous look is my oversized tshirt (cherry red) and my capri-style black workout pants. Topping off this runway athletic fashion demonstration are my neon-striped-so-I-can-be-a-jock-in-the-dark blue & white runners. Can you believe someone hasn't scooped me up and married me yet?!? So....that's just me...now for my brother...remember the song "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John, where she's decked out in workout attire, headband and all, shaking her bootay on the video? Well, picture the male verison of that and you've got John! His outfit is truly practical, but um...well...not so stylish (not that I'm one to talk!). He's got on two "wife beater" tank tops, with shorts that are big for him...white socks that come just below his calf and running shoes. "That's not so bad", you're thinking...we'll add to that look, a lovely Dollar Store purchased black sweat band that stretches across the middle of his forehead..see what I mean? Are we a couple of fashionistas, or what?!? I guess it's a good thing we're out and about before the sun rises, isn't it?!? OK, 'nuf said about our fashion. It really is practical, but we could both use a little style! The sad thing is, we just don't care!!

After our walk and shower, John & I went to my favourite breakfast place - The International House of Pancakes (IHOP). I love that place! Not only do they make GINORMOUS omelettes, they give you a side of pancakes with warm-ish maple-like syrup. It's all very decadent and yummy! I ate 98% of my omelette (leaving 2 bites for my very envious brother), and 50% of my syrup-smothered Nut & Grain pancakes. Did I feel guilty or shamed at eating these treats? NO WAY, BAY-BEE!! This breakfast was well worth it. Besides, I knew it was gonna last me until dinner time, so I had no concerns!

After gourging ourselves at breakfast, we headed to The Anthem Outlet Malls - my favourite shopping place in this area. I'm telling you people, no one does "sale" like US Retailers on a holiday weekend. You can not believe the bargains I got! When we got there, John outlined his strategy - yes, my brother has a strategy for shopping these malls. I'm so grateful that he's a shopper! I welcomed his shopping wisdom and found myself following his mystic ways. Our strategy? Check out the stores, see what's there, then buy...loading purchased parcels in the back of the strategically located car throughout the process. It was a VERY good strategy. I felt no resentment towards people banging into my shopping bags, because I wasn't carrying any. AND, I didn't care about the bodies in the stores, 'cuz I knew what I wanted to buy (having looked earlier in the day before the crowd gathered) and went right to it. It was very good to let the Yoda of shopping guide my purchasing ways...

After a day of power shopping, we came home and had a healthy meal of chicken and salad. It was a really good day and we were both tired and in bed by 10:30. Such is my vacation...up at 5:15 and in bed by 10:30. I'm a crazy woman!!

Sunday was a glorious day! We picked up John's friend, Cornelia, and drove to Sedona. For those who have never been, you would love it! It has all of these gorgeous rock formations that have red rock and "healing powers". It's a very spiritual place, so there are lots of crystal holding, granola eating, cactus hugging nature lovers. And one can get any kind of "reading" that one desires done there, so it attracts quite an interesting group of people. Anyhoo, we climbed about 2/3 of the way up Belle Rock, which is my favourite of the rock formations. I have some great shots, which I'm hoping I can post.

I was quite proud of the hike and my ability to do it. It was considered to be "moderate". We walked 3.25 miles (about 5KM). It was a steady incline for most of the way with pockets of heavy duty, climbing-on-rocks action. Once again, I was grateful for having the ability to actually do the climb, but recognized I still have a long way to go to train...all good learning! I'm quite proud of my brother, John, who managed this hike quite well.

We met up with Greg & Joel. Greg will be joining us (Cornelia, John & I) on the Inca Trail, so it was nice to meet him. Then we all headed to Greg's CHARMING cabin in the smack of the woods. It was such a nice location and a great place to have our packed, very healthy lunch! Then back to Phoenix after a yummy dinner in Sedona.

Once again my left knee is really bugging me. It feels like there is a fist behind my left knee, so I know the muscles are really tight. I know I harp on about The Evil One , but I sure could use one of his torturous stretching sessions right now! I'm going to keep up the walking (treadmill at the gym, 8KM walk at home) and possibly do another hike with Frederica. I need to keep focused and, quite frankly, it's not so painful during the exercising, just afterward...like today when I have to get up in order to keep it from stiffening. Whine, whine, whine....enough!!!

Overall? This has been a GREAT vacation. I love that my brother is so focused because he's keeping me focused. His commitment is inspiring and dammit I'm gonna keep on it! I've decided I want to spend Christmas in Phoenix, so I want to be ... nay, WILL BE...at my optimal weight before I come here. There are all kinds of awesome hiking trails here, so John's promised we can do one when I come in December.

OK, 'nuf talking. Hopefully, I haven't lost anyone!
Take care and stay tuned to more Phoenix adventures!!!
(a)yt xox

0 comments:

Post a Comment